Los Angeles, CA, 2月 27, 2020 - Moms Across America (MAA) today announced that Cha’s Organics Organic Coconut Whipping Cream has received the maximum 5-star rating for the Moms Across America Gold Standard. The MAA Gold Standard is a three-tiered verification that distinguishes those foods, beverages, and supplements that have gone beyond minimum standards for healthy, clean ingredients and manufacturing and achieved superior levels of organic practices and eco-friendly procedures.
Based in Canada, Cha’s Organics is a fair trade, organic brand of South Asian grocery products that are ethically sourced from small-scale, bio-diverse organic forest gardens and orchards in Sri Lanka, the homeland of the company’s co-founder and owner, Chanaka Kurera. The company’s game-changing Organic Coconut Whipping Cream is made only from pure organic coconuts, organic tapioca starch, and purified water. Containing no added gums, preservatives, or sweeteners, the product is fair trade and dairy, gluten, and GMO-free.
Chanaka and his wife and co-founder, Marise May, commented, “At Cha’s Organics we have always aimed to offer only the best products for the health of our consumers, our producer partners and the planet, and this is why we're so excited about the new Moms Across America Gold Standard and the 5-star rating we achieved for our new fair trade, Organic Coconut Whipping Cream!”
On a scale of three to five stars, the MAA Gold Standard is designed to include established, proven certifications while augmenting their benchmarks in some cases and supplementing them to create an exceptional level of verification for key components, such as ingredient transparency, fair wages, and packaging biodegradability.
While the requirements vary slightly for food and supplements, to receive three Gold Stars a brand’s product must:
- Provide total transparency, including “natural flavors,” and not include carrageenan, chlorine dioxide, synthetic food dyes or additives.
- Be certified organic by the USDA or other certifiers (or BIODYNAMIC/Wildcrafted).
- Be glyphosate herbicide tested or certified Glyphosate Residue-free.
To receive four Gold Stars a brand’s product must:
- Meet all previous requirements
- Be Non-GMO Project Verified (including no synthetic biology) if the ingredients exist as GMO
- Heavy metal tested for 1.5x or more than the number of heavy metals in standard testing.
- Tested for 2x more than the common pesticides and herbicides in current organic standards.
- If animal products are used, they must be humanely raised.
To receive five Gold Stars a brand’s product must:
- Meet all previous requirements
- Support the transition to Regenerative Organic Agriculture or BIODYNAMIC either through ingredients or by donation of a portion of sales.
- Use Fair Trade practices and pay Fair Labor wages.
- Use Low to No Pollution Packaging-utilizing 100% recycled materials, bioplastics or glass, or have a mail-in recycling program.
“We want to commend Cha’s Organics for having met the criteria for all five of the Moms Across America Gold Standard stars,” said Zen Honeycutt, MAA Founding Executive Director. “It is quite an achievement and confirmation that at the core of their business Cha’s has the consumer’s, the farmer’s, and the environment’s best interests at heart.”